Prevention is the best medicine, and working to keep your lungs healthy is much more efficient than trying to repair them after something goes wrong. To keep your lungs healthy, do the following:
1. Stop smoking, and avoid secondhand smoke or environmental irritants.
2. Eat foods rich in antioxidants.
3. Get vaccinations like the flu vaccine and the pneumonia vaccine. This can help prevent lung infections and promote lung health.
4. Exercise more frequently, which can help your lungs function properly.
5. Improve indoor air quality. Use tools like indoor air filters and reduce pollutants like artificial fragrances, mold, and dust.
Ana Gotter, 2018, Tips for keeping your lungs healthy, Gerhard Wihtworth, viewed 12 October 2021, <https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-increase-lung-capacity>.